Tonight I am reminded of the many blessings we have in our life. First, of course, is the wonderful relationship Brad and I have. What an amazing husband he is and how thankful I am that I am fortunate enough to have a loving husband who is by my side in all things. A close second is our little Peter . . . what a wonderful surprise he is . . .and, did I mention how cute he is? Everyone thinks so, you know :)
Peter wasn't planned . . . but, we're so glad he's here.
Tonight I talked with a grandpa in the waiting room at the NICU. His grandson, Alexander was born the same day as Peter, only at 29 weeks gestation. Peter was 2 lbs, 9 oz at birth . . . little Alexander was 1 lb, 11 oz. Peter has grown to 3 lbs, 10 oz, while Alexander has lost precious ounces and is struggling to hold onto what little weight he can. That is a big gap considering they are only one week apart in age. Alexander has a developmental challenge that will most likely not allow him to spend much time with his mommy & daddy in this world. They are at his bedside day and night as the doctors don't know if he will survive for a week or a month . . . maybe a year, but not likely. I am heartbroken for this little family. There are days when I am so sad that my little boy is stuck in a hospital room without us there 24/7 to cuddle and love him. I know he is receiving the outstanding care that he needs, but it is still hard to not pick him up and hold him when he cries . . . or to have to open the little door on his isolette when I want to read him a story or just hold his sweet little hand. My heart is sad every night when I head home to bed without our little monkey in the room next door. However, I know that someday soon, he is going to come home and this will all be a distant memory. Today I was reminded that we are blessed that Peter is healthy, just tiny. He is a perfect little miracle that we never expected to experience So, while I continue to ask for your prayers for Peter and his growth and well being, I ask you to say an extra special prayer for Alexander and his family.