As I sit here on the love seat with my sweet little boy snoozing on my chest, I am overwhelmed by so many emotions I never thought I would encounter...
Anxiety: is he eating enough? is his breathing ok? are we doing enough tummy time?
Joy: the feel of his little arms wrapping around my neck when I pick him up
Fear: will he know how abundantly he is loved?
Awe: his rosebud lips, his pool blue eyes, his oh so chubby cheeks
Frustration: will he just smile already?!?!?!
Love: like I didn't know could exist for such a tiny human being
It has been three months since Peter Ponks joined our family. The NICU seems like a distant memory . . . one that we will never forget and that we look upon fondly now that the uncertainty of our stay there has passed. We had amazing nurses, doctors and therapists that really helped Peter . . . I like to say they pushed him to succeed without stressing him out . . . and he is succeeding . . . Peter holds his head up on his own 90% of the time (with the drooping head happening after a bottle or when he is really sleepy . . . and let's be honest . . . how many of you can say you haven't nodded off in an ungraceful position after a particularly satisfyng meal?)...in addition, during tummy time, he pushes up to straight arms (those of you with little ones know what I mean, but I don't know how else to say it) and sometimes he will roll over (not consistently and I think it is more of a lucky happenstance than anything else).
I don't have a weight/length for Peter as we don't head back to the pediatrician until next week . . . however, I do know for sure that he is over 9 pounds and taller than 20". We still have his oxygen tether, but are really hoping we can discontinue that after our September 1st visit to the NICU follow-up clinic (keep Peter in your prayers on this one - we spend about half the day with the cannula prongs outside of Peter's nose and he does fine).
We are truly blessed by our little hero . . . I'll post pictures tomorrow when the camera battery is charged and I can upload them (give a new mom a break . . . I shower every day, take Peter for a walk everyday and make dinner 75% of the time . . . sometimes I'm a little lax with the picture uploads!) - ok, pics are posted . . .