It was a rather emotional evening here as our unit (which was empty) is now full of chubby healthy babies and their new parents.
Peter is being constantly monitored by an outstanding medical staff. Yesterday, he had an echocardiogram to check to see that one of his heart vessels was closing on its own. This is a common problem for preemies. The vessel remains wide open, so he started a three day course of medication to encourage closure. This is VERY common. He will have another test today to see if he needs all the medication or just the one dose.
I am finally feeling a little more like myself (my body is very sore, but my head has cleared from all the meds). We spent some time yesterday talking with one of Peter's nurses, Lynn. She patiently explained all the wires, tubes and monitors to us. I feel a little more in the loop about his care now.
For those of you wondering...I will hopefully be discharged from the hospital on Thursday. I will be sleeping at home, but spending as much time with Peter as possible. Brad will be checking in at work regularly, but will also be at the hospital much of the time. He loves to give Peter little swabs of breastmilk (and Peter relishes those moments as well - which is evidenced by his obviously aggressive sucking)